Latest 'Mersey Beat'
By Bill Harry
A new CD 'Mersey Beat' was released on the EMI Gold label in Britain on Monday July 7 2003.
EMI's Stephen Woolf put the package together on this, the 40th anniversary of the year Liverpool groups dominated the No. 1 spot in the British charts.
Stephen asked me to be consultant on the compilation and I also wrote the sleeve notes.
Stephen's brief had been to compile only tracks from EMI's own labels, which is appropriate, considering that EMI was the label which launched the Mersey sound on record with the Beatles, Gerry & the Pacemakers and Billy J. Kramer.
Unfortunately, unlike the original 'Mersey Beat' album which I compiled for EMI in 1983, no tracks by the Beatles could be used. However, the new CD gives a representative balance with the inclusion of the celebrated and also the less well known of the groups who helped to create what became known as the Mersey Sound.
The track listing is as follows:
1. Gerry & the Pacemakers, 'How Do You Do It?'
2. The Fourmost, 'A Little Loving.'
3. The Swinging Bluejeans, 'Good Golly Miss Molly.'
4. Billy J. Kramer & the Dakotas, 'Do You Want To Know A Secret?'
5. Tiffany, 'I Know.'
6. Earl Royce & the Olympics, 'I Really Do.'
7. The Valkyries, 'Rip It Up.'
8. The Black Knights, 'I Gotta Woman.'
9. The Dimensions, 'Tears On My Pillow.'
10. The Kubas, 'Magic Potion.'
11. The Fourmost, 'The In Crowd.'
12. The Valkyries,'What's Your Name?'
13. Billy J. Kramer & the Dakotas, 'Little Children.'
14. Earl Royce & The Olympics. 'Que Sera Sera.'
15. Gerry & the Pacemakers, 'I Like It.'
16. The Dimensions, 'You Don't Have To Whisper.'
17. The Black Knights, 'Angel Of Love.'
18. Rory Storm & the Hurricanes, 'America.'
19. The Kubas, 'I Love Her.'
20. Gerry & the Pacemakers, 'Ferry 'Cross The Mersey.'
21. Tiffany, 'Am I Dreaming?'
22. Billy J. Kramer & the Dakotas, 'Bad To Me.'
23. The Swinging Bluejeans, 'The Hippy Hippy Shake.'
24. Beryl Marsden, 'Break-A-Way.'
25. Gerry & the Pacemakers, 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
Also of interest is the new EMI release 'Cilla: The Best Of 1963-70.' This 3-CD package is released to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Cilla's recording career. It's an 80-track album with 7 previously unreleased songs.